Dance; while the very word triggers images of solo dancers fleeting across the stage and the art of perfecting your performance and technique takes a lot of independent and individual discipline and drive, dancing is actually very much a team sport.
Producing a fabulous group performance takes equal drive, dedication and passion from every single dancer and being a great team player a part of an even greater team will soar your dancing to new heights.
Let’s think about what happens when you play a team sport.
- You don’t get to play in the footy grand final if you haven’t been to training all year.
- You don’t get to be in the starting 5 in the basketball game if you haven’t been pulling your weight.
- You don’t walk down the netball court while your team mates sprint past you.
- You don’t question your soccer uniform or get to choose your team colours. You get what you get and everyone wears their team colours with pride.
- If you are late on game day, you don’t get to play. So, here’s how to be a team player at dancing.
- If you plan on participating in the concert you need to be prepared by coming to class.
- If you want to stand out on stage, you need to give it your all.
- Don’t let your class mates dance harder than you. Match their energy and drive.
- Be proud and patriotic. Your dance uniform is important. It promotes unity and a strong work ethic. Wear it with pride.
- Be punctual. If you are late to class, rehearsal or concert days, you miss warm ups, important information and on busy event days, you could even miss your turn to dance!! Being on time is vital to having a positive experience dancing.
Did you know that in our code of conduct (agreed to upon enrollment) it states:
“Main St Funk believes that a dance class should feel like a team where everyone is treated equally and works equally as hard. No one student is the star and no student is left behind.”
This is because we endeavour to raise hard-working, team players who love to dance!As we settle in to preparing our performance day routines, let’s keep thinking of our dance class as our team. Let’s keep being patriotic and proud. Let’s keep encouraging and cheering on our team mates and let’s SOAR together to new dancing heights.
GO TEAM MSF!